Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Wife is now home.... Seroquel...

My wife is now home from the hospital. She's doing much better. One of the problems she is having is from the toxic effects of being on Risperdal for two years. She walks a little stiff. They call it extrapyramidal symptoms. Sort of like having parkinsons. Her muscles aren't reacting normally. The doctor put her on Congentin to counteract the Risperdal. This is one of the few times I'm having my doubts with her taking drugs. If the congentin doesn't work then we'll have to have a serious discussion about the side effects and what we can do about it.

I wasn't sleeping very well the last week or so. I mentioned it to my pdoc. He gave me some sample doses of Seroquel 200mg. I took one last night to see how well it worked. I already read on the internet that Seroquel works good for a sleep aid even though thats not its main purpose. I took the 200mg tablet at bedtime. Talk about kicking your butt!! I had to get up in the middle of the night to pee and it was all I could do to get there. I was so druggged up I couldn't walk. I had to hang on to wall to get to the bathroom. Once I did wake up the next day, all I could do was sleep. Plus I was sleepy until about 2pm today. It took a strong cup of coffee to help cut the drugged up feeling. The pages I read on the internet said the normal dosage of Seroquel is 50-100mg to start. I guess my pdoc wanted me to really sleep as it worked. I wont take another 200mg again. I'll go to 100mg if I need it again. ONLY if I need it again.!!

3 comments:

Radin said...

I am happy to hear your wife home. I hope the side effects go away soon. Seeing the situation you are in you seam to be a real courageous man. I pray for you.

The Seriously Ill said...

i'm on 25mg of seroquil and it knocks me out. It also makes getting up in the morning very hard: I feel hung-over when I first wake up. I have found that ambien is the best sleeping pill. You go to sleep a very short time after taking it, and you wake up refreshed in the morning. There is a danger of addiction, however.

Anonymous said...

I am 16 years old and not fully diagnosed with bipolar but it is some type (maybe a Little help?)
Meds have worked and ceased to stop over an over and my tolerence can only be understood by you guys I have once taken 800mg(no typo) of Serequel at the most and still be able to function during the day I perscribingly take 200 which increased to 300 and would wake up drowsy but fine at 7:00 in the morning I take 25 to go to bed now having been shot up from 2 a day 25mg to 100mg in weeks of lamictal which i have seen minor balance with it"i do not know what normal is" but have been on klonopin 1mg and am abusingly unaffected by almost 8mg in one day at the same time. Zoloft has done nothing and Concerta 54mg is the only one kind of working even when abused at 2-3 times that amount I am not affected like others. I am Non-classified bipolar with anxiety,add, and very very warped views from manic symptoms. I do not know what to think or do or how to act on thoughts or emotions and is impossible to find a complete "cure" but i am not sure what i am dyignosis wise but maybe you could help i hope someone will read this and i will hope to check.Thankyou, from Is this Real?