Friday, June 24, 2005

Schizophrenia and Bipolar....

It's been a tough week as my wife is in the hospital. I've also had to work 12 hour days, go home get a few hours sleep, then go visit my wife in the hospital. Repeat the process the next day. Her new diagnosis is "schizophrenia with severe depression; an eating disorder(not eating) and OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder)(she obsesses about life's problems). Shes in pretty bad shape and it looks like she may be in the hospital through the weekend at least.

My bipolar disorder is actually holding up rather well. Usually when I don't get enough sleep I slip into a mania phase. So far my sypmtoms are rather stable.I'll be done working all the mandatory overtime on Monday morning. I'm deep down hoping that my wife stays in the hospital through the weekend as I can't be home to support her mentally.

And to top it off tonight, I hit a deer about 100 yards from where I work. It hit me broadside on the drivers side. It busted out the drivers side rear view mirror. No other damage to the side of the car because I drive a Saturn L200. You can hit the side of a car with a hammer and it pops back out with no damage. Dont know what its going to cost to fix the stupid mirror. Todays deer makes the 5th deer I hit with a car. Luckly there is no real damage this time.

It amazing how life can throws things at you. Sometimes you just gotta laugh !!

6 comments:

gabbi said...

Bipolar is different for everyone. Some get mania that is uplifting and addictive while for others it consists of anger and anxiety. It is a big deal.

I wish you and your wife good fortune from here on out.

I hope they weened you off the paxil, and if not should have! The last few days are bad. That brain 'shoom' zap sort of thing is awful! I didn't even know what was happening until I looked it up on the net (my therapist was a quack, a real psychiatrist is the way to go).

Kiley said...

I wish you well...sounds like a rough bit of time indeed...

ariK

Radin said...

I am glad I came to know your blog. I am 40 and something and have been diagnosed Bipolar 2 for a year now. You are having a hard time. I wish you and your wife courage and hope you both come out well. I have also experienced being a schizophrenic when I was at my twenties. The person can do far more than the drugs do to help. Wish you both luck.

Kiley said...

How did the weekend treat you?

Dreama said...

I think you will find strength from each other now that you are both diagnosed with mental illness - at least you can identify with each other with regard to medications, moods, strange symptoms, etc. And laughing at it all is very healthy. Wishing you both good mental health for the future (no, its not Dr. Crane, lol)

Unknown said...

I can relate to everything you are saying. I have been on a lot of the meds that your wife takes, but then had them changed...I am bipolar like you, not schizophrenic. I have been in the hospital too. It really helps to be there, I found, especially the group therapy. I was manic when I was in, but mostly when I cycle it's into depression. I haven't been manic in a long time.

I have a blog about my mental health called The Psychiatrists.

http://thepsychiatrists.blogspot.com/

You might like it.

Candice