Saturday, March 18, 2006

My new job...

Its now been two weeks since I started my new job. Just got my first paycheck in three months.

I can't believe the differance between this factory and the last one I worked in. Its very clean and organized. This company makes nearly all their shipments ontime, which is a huge differance from my old job.

So far I'm basically in a confused state, learning a totally new process that I knew nothing about coming into it. Of course my main job is managing people (supervision) and these people don't behave any differant than the people at the other plant. People are pretty much the same no matter where you go.

The largest differance in the people is the fact that most of them barely speak english. Most are Croatian. I've already mananged to learn a few basic words from them. My feeling is that if they are in America, working for Americans, they are the ones that have to learn the langauge. The other thing I've noticed is they are hard working. They are not afraid of work, unlike the lazy Americans at my last job. They appreciate their job and are thankful to have it. They are paid very well for their efforts, as this is a union shop.

After about another month of training I will move to afternoon shift. After seven years of working midnights, maybe I will sleep alot better. This should help with any mania that I have. I look forward to the change.

It was kind of nice being out of work for three months. It was like a long vacation( a long boring one). But I am glad to get back to work and start a new chapter in my life.

3 comments:

Maggs said...

I'm glad thing are starting to settle down for you. You deserve to be happy. : )

jane said...

If only you'd known you'd get a check after 3 months of being laid off, you could have relaxed & enjoyed the time off. I had no idea there was such a large Croatian population...learn something new every day.
Like Maggs said, I'm glad things are starting to look up.

jane said...

Hi,
I hope all is going well for you & your wife. I just stopped by to read your blog. :)