Saturday, October 08, 2005

Son preparing to leave home...

My son leaves on 9/10/05 for the Airforce. The last few days we've only seen him for 1/2 days at a time. He's going through the process of saying goodbye to all his close friends. He's hanging out with them, going to movies with them and just visiting them at their homes. I believe he is preparing himself for his soon to be life changing experience. He will never be the same once he leaves for bootcamp.

Our grief as parents is starting to grow a little also as we prepare for the empty nest and our "baby' leaving home. I worried about my wife taking it too hard, but I think its me that will take it the hardest. In private I get all teary-eye just thinking about him leaving. Monday will come too soon.

But as parents we've been through this once before. We gave our oldest son the "leaving to go out into the world' talk. We plan on doing the same with this son also. I feel it gives closeure to this episode in our lives.

We are very excited for him. The world is a large place for a farm boy. Hopefully he will find the Airforce an exciting experience. He's already got the mindset of making it his lifelong career. How many of us at that age could say that. He's very intelligent book wise and we're sure he'll go far.

Now all we have to do is let go.

But thats the hard part isn't it.... I dread Monday but am excited at the same time...

2 comments:

jane said...

As parents, I don't think we ever really let go. He must be very intelligent to have gotten into the Air Force. I hope today went okay for you & your wife & I wish your son the very best in his new career.
You both must be extremely proud!

Kiley said...

Best wishes for going through this trying time; you obviously did a heck of a job raising your son though for him to be going off to such success. Of course, I know this statement doesn't relieve your grief at this moment...no words a stranger can say will soothe a loving parent whose children have flown from the nest...but I think you know what I'm trying to say nonetheless.